MONTANA RECALL: Possible Metal Scraps in Bacon Topper, Bacon Crumbles Products
Many of us keep this product on hand for last minute toppings on salads, etc. Check your fridge and cabinets for these labels as there has been a report of metal pieces inside.
This is a recall from Smithfield Packaged Meats Corporation and is shared through the USDA. It's a Class I recall...meaning "This is a health hazard situation where there is a reasonable probability that the use of the product will cause serious, adverse health consequences or death."
The recalled packages are quite large, so may affect restaurants and high volume users more than households.
Smithfield Packaged Meats Corp., a Sioux Center, Iowa establishment, is recalling approximately 185,610 pounds of ready-to-eat (RTE) bacon topping products that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically metal.
What products are included in this recall? Here's the full list, and you can check the product labels HERE:
- 5-lb. packages containing “Golden Crisp PATRICK CUDAHY PRECOOKED BACON TOPPING” SKU 43200 12002 with lot codes 2054, 2062 and 2063.
- 5-lb. packages containing “Smithfield PRECOOKED BACON TOPPING” SKU 43200 12003 with lot codes 2063 and 2064.
- 5-lb. packages containing “Golden Crisp PATRICK CUDAHY FULLY COOKED BACON TOPPING APPLEWOOD SMOKED” SKU 43200 12296 with lot codes 2053 and 2062.
- 5-lb. packages containing “Smithfield FULLY COOKED BACON TOPPING” SKU 43200 12663 with lot code 2064.
- 5-lb. packages containing “MEMBER’S MARK FULLY COOKED BACON CRUMBLES” SKU 78742240923 with “BEST IF USED BY” date of “2022-11-18.”
THERE HAVE BEEN NO REPORTED INJURIES thus far with regard to this recall. Steps have been take to ensure these are no longer on sale to the public. If you DO have these products in your possession, you should throw them away or return them to where you bought them for a refund. Retailers are aware of this recall.